Saturday, December 1, 2007

Gashumba is moulding an Oprah

BUDDYING TALENT: Sheila files a Chogm story from the media centre on Imperial Royale Hotel.

Prepare for a headline you had never thought you would see – something like, “a Ugandan Oprah is born…”
I'm not dreaming.
It’s Frank Gashumba who has revealed that he is moulding his 11-year-old daughter Sheila Gashumba into becoming the “Ugandan Oprah Winfrey.”
Rafshizzle bumped into Gashumba and the daughter at the Chogm Business Forum at Royal Imperia Hotel last week and he told me: “You see she is the youngest journalist around covering the Chogm and I want this to continue until she is as big as Oprah.”
Sheila was the youngest of all Chogm reporters and her father had to add her one more year since the required age for one to cover Chogm was 12.
She had her articles published in Daily Monitor’s Chogm Teens, a special project for teens who covered Chogm.
Sheila also presents a teens’ show on WBS TV yet she is the only kid to have been interviewed by Oprah Winfrey’s crew who came for the Aisha Nabukeera’s documentary.
And all Sheila told Rafshizzle, “I think I can do what Oprah and Tyra Banks are doing. I want to use the media to help suffering people.”
Well, Sheila, join me in singing Nas’s song, “I know I can be what I wanna be…”

No comments: